[DML] Re: Turbo question

Actuallly on many installations (not Deloreans) you put a loop (a
trap) in the drain hose so the bearings stay flooded in oil. On some
installations there is a check valve (drain-back valve) in the
pressure line so it stays full of oil. Most oil filters are supposed
to have one also which makes it always important to use the "correct"
oil filter because in many cases even though a filter fits it may not
have a valve or it may not be calibrated to work correctly on every
engine it is cross-referenced to. It is hard to do on a Delorean
because the filter is sideways but on many cars you are supposed to
fill the oil filter up with oil before you put it on so the motor
doesn't have to wait for oil when you first start it up after changing
the filter. Many manufacturers claim most of the wear on the engine
occurs during the first seconds of start-up before the oil pump can
get the oil into the bearings and create the thin film for the parts
to ride on instead of the metal bearings themslves. On the person that
never cools the engine down, the best advice is still to let the motor
idle before shutting off, even though you got 11 years out of it maybe
you can get 12 or more if you take better care of it. Cooling the
motor down by idling for a short time is good advice even on a motor
that doesn't have forced induction. Frequent oil changes also make a
BIG difference so maybe that is why you are getting such good service
from your turbo.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews