[DML] Re: What would YOU pay?

If he is telling you a piston is "stuck" then I am assuming the engine
will not crank over. This can be anything from a bad starter to a
seized motor. I would not believe you could just whack it with a 2x4
and fix it. If it was that easy then why did the owner not do it? You
have to consider the price of the car less what it would cost to
replace the engine, essentially "worst case". Since the car cannot
drive you cannot evaluate the other major (read expensive) systems on
the car like the trans, brakes, steering. If the motor won't run then
you have to figure it may be a parts car without a motor. In that case
if the body panels and the interior is not too bad it is worth
somewhere between $3,000-$5,000 with a clean title. I will take a wild
guess but I am probably close, the motor overheated, locked up the
cylinders with coolant and won't turn. It may be cleanable with a head
gasket replacement but figure on rebuilding the fuel system, cooling
system, and brakes. If it really cooked the trans may also have
internal damage. Where in NY? If it is not too far I may be able to
help you inspect the car to further define the extent of what it would
take to get it going. Figure you spend $5,000 on the car, $3,000 on
the motor, and $5,000 on "everything else" and you have $13,000 in it.
After all that work is it really a bargain? You can buy a really
pretty one that runs for $15,000. You may have to put some more in it
but you will be way ahead. Don't forget to look underneath for frame rust.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, " Toscano" <toscano2@xxxx> wrote:
> Getting right to the point...I am not some "lurker," I am a former
owner who has been on the list for years and understand most aspects
of owning a D. Recently on a drive in upstate NY I found an excellent
candidate for my next princess, and I am just seeking opinions on