[DML] LED replacements.

I've received a couple of emails "off-line" asking
about the trunk, engine compartment and interior light
LED replacements.

These are called "festoon" bulbs. Many sites don't
tell you what bulbs they replace; instead they give
you measurements for determining which size you need.

I got mine from DeLorean Motor Center.

First, you must realize that there is hardly an LED
out there that is as bright as an incandescent.

Given that, here is my take:

Trunk:  This light has never been bright enough for
any real use.  I merely wanted to get it lit for show
and not run down the battery.  For that, the
replacement is fine.

Engine compartment:  I have added a second light,
identical to the original and located it on the
driver's side, balanced with the stock light.  The two
lights equipped with LEDs are only slightly brighter
that the single light, but they do bounce nicely off
the chrome which I recently added.

Interior:  Definitely not as bright, but, again, great
for shows.  I never could read a map with the existing
bulbs and I carry a small flashlight just for that
purpose (and, when looking for something in the trunk
or checking the engine in the dark.

The light emitted is almost blue/white, much like the
newer HID headlights.  VERY cool when showing off your
car.

There is no doubt that brighter LEDs are on the way
and that they will be quite expensive.  These will do
nicely for me until those LEDs are more reasonable.

Size:  I BELIEVE the trunk/engine compartment are
39mm.  The interior are shorter and I believe you
would look for replacement of incandescent 211.

FWIW, I have no experience with LEDs provided by
others.  They may even be better or cheaper.  I only
know I am happy with what I installed.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867