[DML] Re: Continued: Vacuuming A/C

I didn't mean to say you were actually putting a combustable mixture
into your A/C system, I was only giving an example of a device that
when used is inherently unsafe. Just because things are for sale does
not always mean they are safe, even for their intended purpose. Freon
R-12 is one of the "safety" refrigerents. It was supposed to be a safe
replacement for amonia, propane, and butane which were in common use
at the time. R-12 was considered inert at the time. In fact it was
invented by German chemists before WW I as an intermediate step for
what became Phosgene gas, a deadly gas used in WWI. R-12 does not burn
but one of the results of the oxidation of it is very dangerous! Early
on they used to sell an attachment you would put on a Bernzomatic
torch that had a copper "reaction plate" in it. A hose would be used
to find a leak and when the R-12 got to the hot copper plate it would
glow green indicating a leak. It was realized how dangerous this was
and eventually removed from the marketplace. Similar situation with
the old Carbon Tet fire extighuishers. They were great at putting out
fires but the gases created killed many people.
 I know in some areas of the country it is difficult to find good,
qualified service on many things. That is one of the purposes of this
List, to help people find services, to know what can and should be
done, and how to do it. From my experience you CAN usually find
someone although it may not be nearby and/or convienient, it generally
comes down to a question of dollars. If you intend to do your own work
instead of spending the money on service and shipping you must be
willing to spend it on parts, tools, time, and education. I am
surprised you have so much trouble finding someone to work on your
A/C. It is not all that different from any of the older cars that must
be plentiful in your area. Besides, the tools would be exactly the
same and if you have the manual they should be able to do anything
short of rebuilding the compressor. I encourage people to do their own
work, it is just that you should know your limitations, in terms of
knowledge, tools, time, and money. Since A/C work is done
infrequently, (if done correctly) and the tools are so expensive, it
is best left to "shop it out". I am only trying to leave the
impression on the DML that A/C work is best left to professionals who
have the proper equipment (vacuum pumps, refrigerent recyclers, leak
detectors, gauges and such), like alignment work.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757