Re: [DML] Installing an iPod into a DeLorean??

Re: [DML] Installing an iPod into a DeLorean??

I'm confused. Why would you want to do this? The BMW adapter is only
news because it allows you to control your iPod with the existing
stereo system's steering wheel controls. Thus the iPod can be hidden
away. The DeLorean doesn't have steering wheel controls, so what would
you do with it?

Furthermore, this isn't something that could be reverse engineered. It
sits on a proprietary "network" and is designed specifically to talk
to the systems in a BMW. Unless you transplanted a BMW stereo &
steering wheel controls into your DeLorean, you'd be out of luck on this.

Currently your only options for an iPod in a DeLorean are:

1. A line-in of some sort (cassette deck on the Craig, or a direct
line-in on an aftermarket stereo).

2. An FM transmitter like the iTrip.

The above options require you to control the iPod at the iPod, or use
a remote designed for the iPod (there are several available - Apple
includes a wired remote with most iPods and wireless remotes can be
purchased aftermarket). If you must control the iPod from the buttons
on your head unit, there are two options:

1. Dension ICE Link and a compatible aftermarket stereo.

2. Wait for Alpine to release their iPod interface. You'll need an
Alpine stereo to do this.

The biggest problem with most of these solutions is the size of the
head unit's screen. Most head units don't have a big enough screen to
effectively scroll through playlists, etc. Also, there are major cost
issues with getting the iPod to do this (the ICE Link, for example,
only lets you control the iPod. It doesn't display the song info on
the stereo). Essentially you need to build a box that can talk "iPod"
and "head unit." The iPod uses a standard firewire interface, but
every head unit manufacturer uses a different bus architecture so
you'd need to build a dozen or more different interfaces. Then there's
the hardware & software required to pass information back and forth
between the two devices at a high rate of speed. It's not a trivial
nor cheap matter to build an embedded device like this, unfortunately.

-Ryan