Re: [DML] BAE Turbo and distributor timing

Re: [DML] BAE Turbo and distributor timing

The centrifugal weights were limited in the initial installation of the
turbocharger and I'd guess the J&S knock sensor was added later. The weights
should have had the restriction removed at that time. My experience with the
early J&S knock sensors was not very good. They do have adjustments as to
the amount of retard and the units sensitivity. If you have one of the later
all digital units it may be more reliable but when I used one of the early
units during the warmer temperature months it was impossible to get an
adjustment that wouldn't reduce the power to the point it defeated any gains
the turbocharger offered. It also killed the ignition at various times and
the engine would sputter and then regain itself after a second. It got
pretty scary in heavy traffic and I finally removed it and went back to
restricting the movement of the centrifugal weights.

Bruce Benson