[DML] Re: steering column bushing...

The bushing could have some effect on this but it's unlikely. The
normal failure mode on the bushing is that it falls apart and
everything gets loose. You should lift the front tires off the ground
and then methodically look for the binding, maybe by disconnecting
the coupling to the steering column. My bet would be that the lube
inside the steering rack has dried out, but I've also seen the
universal joints in the coupling get stiff.

You may be able to remove the small access cover on the rack and put
in some more lube (90 wt gear oil, not very much!) but the best thing
is to remove the rack from the car, remove the boots, stand it on one
end, flush and refill with the proper amount of oil. Check the manual
for the quantity but it's less than a cup, I believe.

This also gives you the opportunity to check for binding in the tie
rod ends and ball joints (not likely).

Dave S