Re: [DML] Water pump pulley came off on its own

Re: [DML] Water pump pulley came off on its own

You can't use a bolt on pulley, it needs a different pump.
You have several options, all of which involve removing the pump.

If the pulley is worn you can rebush it and re-press and then pin it
at right angles to the key. It'll give you many years of service if
done right and will prevent you from having to toss a pump with low
time in service.

Buy a new pump with a bolt on pulley. The only thing this gets you is
less hassle down the road when it comes time to replace it again.

Buy a new pump with a new pressed on pulley.

No matter what you do, be advised that with the pulley backed off
you're going to destroy the rear of your pump. The instructions on wa
well known tech note state the pulley must be pressed to a specific
dimension on the shaft and no more.

This is incorrect. The pulley must be pressed all the way until it
seats against the bearing race and preloads the shaft seal, the
dimension just happens to be what the author of the tech note found
when he measured the old pump. There is a reason for that dimension,
it's all the way down. In other words you need to press it until you
can't go any further.

This is because the rear of the pulley is used to preload the ceramic
face seal in the pump. If the pulley backs away from the outer
bearing race the the shaft will drift to the rear causing the seal to
unseat and allowing the impeller to contact the rear pump housing.
Ignore the specified dimension in the tech note and press the pulley
all the way and leave the rear housing off to check for zero fore and
aft movement of the shaft when done. The specified dimension should
come out the same but don't rely on it as a stopping point.