[DML] Re: hydraulic clutch will not go in gear

[DML] Re: hydraulic clutch will not go in gear

We seem to have a bunch of people with clutch issues. Generally when
you have trouble with the clutch it is becasue the fluid was not
changed every 2 years as required. The old brake fluid corrodes the
inside of the system eventually causing it to leak. The other problem
is the origional hydraulic line. It is plastic and when it gets hot it
will expand reducing the throw (movement) of the slave cylinder. The
fix is to replace it with a braided line. It is always good practice
to replace both master and slave cylinders at the same time on the
logic if the fluid could wreck 1 the other is nearly gone too. You
could convert to DOT 5 but it it is slightly compressable because you
can't get ALL the air out of it. This will reduce the travel on the
slave cylinder too. The best advice is to stay with Castrol GTLMA DOT
4. You just have to flush it out every 2 years. Same deal with the
brakes. The brake system and the clutch system are each separate and
distinct. There is no connection between. By the time you get
everything apart, send the parts out to be sleeved, reassemble and
install you would be better of just getting rebuilt parts and getting
credit for your old cores.
 Another problem you may face is if the car was driven much on a bad
clutch it was forced in and out of the gears. This can cause a roll
pin inside the transmission be be damaged. This means you now have to
remove the trans and reseal it while replacing the roll pin.
  On your particular car you can see that even though it only has 800
miles it has 20 + years on it and many things deteriorate with age.
Bleeding isn't the problem with these systems. The problem is the
corrosion inside the cylinders that wrecks the seals causing them to
leak. No matter what way you flush and bleed the systems the damage is
done. The cylinders are pittted and the pistons are corroded and the
plating on them is flaking off. You can expect the brakes to cause you
problems too. Your best course of action it to just pull the clutch
AND brake systems apart and rebuild or replace everything. The brakes
are even more important than the clutch.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757