Re: [DML] K-jetronic not connected

In a message dated 5/22/04 6:08:46 PM Central Daylight Time,
debruin@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

> After that I disconnected the plug again and everything is fine.
> I know the connector should be connected, it's there for a reason but it
> runs better without it connected.
> Could someone explain what's causing this or what is wrong?
>
> Mads de Bruin

Mads,

I assume by 'silver box' you are talking about the Lambda ECU.  apparently a
previous owner or mechanic had a problem with the lambda/frequency valve
system and did not care to repair the problem the right way, leaving you to try to

1) figure out what the original problem was
2) figure out how they dealt with it in any number of stupid ways and
3) how to fix it the right way (that's where the shop manual and the DML
comes in!!!!!!).

the lambda ECU's function is to take readings from the lambda sensor,
interpret them as rich or lean, and instruct the frequency valve to modify the fuel
amount by varying its duty cycle in a pulse width signal (the valve is actually
kind of an actuator).

the first problem, even though your car seems to run 'perfectly', is that it
idles too high.  750RPM is correct according to the books.

you have two options - either

1) leave the car as it is in a hacked but running state (like so many other
D's out there)
or
2) spend some quality time and money getting it to run 'right'.

most of us on the DML would advocate option 2.  begin by plugging in the box
and making sure none of the wiring is cut or spliced.  if it is spliced, there
is other wiring added or deleted that you need to repair. refer to the
electrical diagram and read part 4 under the fuel, emissions chapter of the shop
manual.  you should replace your lambda sensor and make sure the frequency valve
is buzzing while the car is running, even if it doesn't sound like it is
running/idling well.  at least then the ECU isn't dead.  take your throttle linkage
apart, clean it, lubricate it, and make sure it is adjusted properly (could
be why your idle is high).  also the usual check of all vacuum lines, vacuum
leaks, etc could cause high idle.

this will probably take a while to fix properly but be patient.  the ECU
doesn't go bad often but there is probably more than one problem that needs to be
fixed.

Let us know how things go and we will help you along.  it took me about 3
years of tinkering before i got my engine running 100% perfect.  i had probably 7
different things wrong at once and i had to fix one thing in order for
another problem to show itself - just be patient and keep at it.

Andy