Re: [DML] 30+ mpg in a DeLorean

James,

I have been somewhat following the tread you have created with your
millage claim. Personal experience combined with what I think I know
about your Stage II changes would lead me to believe you have obtained
30+ mpg results.

An engine is first and foremost is an air pump. What makes it an engine
is that fuel derived energy is interjected in one of the four cycles to
result in net power being provided to drive the load. Pumping losses are
parasitic and subtract from usable derived power. If you have improved
the overall breathing over the stock engine than you should benefit from
these reduced  pumping losses. Your free flow exhaust alone is
sufficient to obtain the improvement noted. The stock Delorean exhaust
is an ideal candidate for improvement as it is very restrictive. The
Island Twin Turbo manifolds are even more restrictive than the stock
setup.  Energy used to push gases through the plumbing is energy not
available to drive the car and directly effects the amount of fuel used
to drive the system. Back pressure on the top of the piston during an
exhaust stroke is working against having decent fuel economy and is a
much bigger issue than aerodynamics, tire pressure or vehicle weight.
Given our vehicles slick shape and low weight we should be getting 50
mpg with a truely modern engine.

If you ever have the chance to dyno a stock engine vs your flow improved
engine I think you will be able to scientifically qualify the results
you have observed. Just check fuel consumption for a given power output,
especially at part throttle (cruising) conditions.

Thanks for improving the breed.
Don Ekhoff