[DML] Re: Trailing arm bolt procedure w/ jack stands?

[DML] Re: Trailing arm bolt procedure w/ jack stands?

Eric - Yes, the left hand TAB is a little more difficult to remove
and replace on the automatic than it would be on a manual.  My
recommendation would be to separate the elements of the joint apart
(after removing the nut from the bolt) and then cut the bolt out.
Make the cut as close as possible to the "head end", so that you can
get that length out without running into the transmission housing.
Then, loosen the rubber bushing retainer (the two bolts probably have
jam nuts on them, as well as the welded nuts in the frame).  This
allows you to insert the new TAB at an angle through the various
pieces of the joint until you clear the transmission.  Then, you
straighten everything out, re-attach the bushing retainer, install
the trailing arm, shims, etc.  It is not technically required to
dismount or move the transmission if you use this technique.  Another
way to do this installation involves removing the trailing arm from
the left side of the car.  This technique was written up by Dave
Jacobs in one of the issues of Gullwing Magazine, complete with color
pictures.  If you don't subscribe to that magazine already, you
should definitely consider it.  If you have any further questions,
feel free to contact me.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Eric Itzel <eric@xxxx> wrote:
> I have an automatic transmission and I'm getting ready to replace my
> trailing arm bolts. I seem to remember someone saying that it was a
pain to replace the bolts in an automatic because the fatter
transmission has to be moved out of the way. Is that true? Do I need
to dismount the transmission to replace the bolts?