[DML] Re: Trailing arm bolt procedure w/ jack stands?

[DML] Re: Trailing arm bolt procedure w/ jack stands?

List - I thought that I'd touch on the questions - why have weight on
the rear suspension when torqueing up the TAB's, and why have the
joint unloaded to remove them?  In terms of removing them, when there
is weight on the suspension, the joint (TAB, rubber bushing, and
trailing arm) have loads on them from the camber of the rear wheels,
and loads created by the alignment of the wheels and basic geometry
of the rear suspension.  In order to manipulate the joint to remove
the preloads, and allow the bolt to gracefully exit the joint, the
car should be jacked up with the wheel off the ground (you can do one
side at at time).  If the joint is preloaded, the bolt will be harder
to drive out, and things can suddenly shift around when the bolt
finally comes free.  It's best to have everything relaxed for easier
removal.  For installation, the joint goes back together best with
the wheel off the ground (for the same reasons as removing the TAB),
but here's the reason for setting the car back down for the final
torque.  The trailing arm joint is supposed to be a clamped joint.
In other words, there should be no relative motion of the bolt,
trailing arm, and sleeve through the bushing.  All motion is supposed
to be in the rubber of the bushing only.  Realistically, the sleeve
that is bonded into the bushing can tear loose fairly quickly, so the
sleeve starts to rotate in the rubber.  However, if the rubber
bushing is still intact (sleeve to rubber still bonded), you want to
install everything so that the bushing is in a relaxed state with the
car in its normal stance.  Then, the rubber has equal available
deflection in both directions.  If the car is in the air when the
bolts are torqued up, the rubber is twisted all the way in one
direction to start with, which will cause premature failure of the
rubber to sleeve bond.  If this is not clear, or you have any
questions that arise from this, feel free to ask off-list.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas@xxxx>
wrote:
> When torquing everything back up, it's important to have the weight
of the suspension on the car, so you don't stress the bolts. David T
reccomends to unbolt the TABS with the weight off of the suspension.
Why, I honestly don't know, and it's the first time that I've ever
heard this reccomendation before, so I'm a bit curious as to what
advantage he's seen with it.