Re: [DML] 1981 vin 5866 8100 miles needs a home.

Re: [DML] 1981 vin 5866 8100 miles needs a home.

I don't think a DeLorean will appreciate at all in non-running condition. I really don't see DeLoreans appreciating by leaps and bounds any time soon either. Maybe by the time they reach 30 years old they'll start to be viewed more as classics and people will start to reconsider them as collectibles who wouldn't normally. But I really think the DeLorean will always be a niche car. They really don't appeal to the masses like Corvettes, Camaros, and Mustangs. Partially because people fear them for their image, and the fact that they're an extinct marque (everyone I talk to asks how in the world I keep it running, where would I find parts for it, and how expensive they must be). All of this misinformation is really the DeLorean's biggest foe. They're also weird little cars that only appeal to a small group of people. Yes they're crowd favorites, but most people don't want to own one.

So to directly address your dilemma, here's your options:

1) Sell the car in it's current condition. You've made it clear you don't want the car, and have no interest in fiddling with it. Someone will buy the car eventually, but I can guarantee you won't like the price you'll get out of it. Even the nicest non-running D won't sell for more than $10k or so. But the good news is it'll go to someone who will appreciate it, and it'll be out of your hair.

2) Get it in running condition and sell it. You'd really have to have a soft spot for DeLoreans to do this. It will likely take you about $15k to get the car in driveable shape. Remember you'll have to completely replace the fuel system. You'll also likely have to completely go through the brake system, clutch system, cooling system, and get the electrics updated so you won't overheat the first time you take it out for a spin. Even if you get it in top running shape, you'll be losing money though. It's hard to say what kind of value the car would have once it's running nicely, but it's still tough to sell a very nice DeLorean for over $20k. There are tons of DeLoreans out there with less than 10k miles. Cars with similar stories to yours come up for sale constantly because people bought the cars and put them away for whatever reason.

If I were you I'd go with option 1. It gets the car out of your hair quickly and painlessly. You'll also get the most money out of it that way too. I know neither really sounds all that appealing, but these are the cards your situation has dealt.

Louie Golden
VIN 5252 Charlotte, NC

--- "sammy u" <sldav@xxxxxxx> wrote:
HI,

I HAVE BEEN READING DMC NEWS E MAILS FOR THE PAST 6 MONTHS. MY DAD
GAVE ME VIN 5866 RECENTLY AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH IT.