[DML] Engine swaps + street legal = ?

I hate to sound like a n00b (even if I am one :D), but I just had a
brief discussion with a friend of mine regarding the street
legalities of an engine swap.  He says any car with an engine swap is
just about guaranteed to be illegal in California (for on-road use),
regardless of how clean the emissions are.

I would like to swap in a Cadillac Northstar, or even a 13B-REW
rotary in my DeLorean someday.  I live in Florida, so vehicle
inspections aren't much of an issue.  Still, though... if I ever
move...  =/

Also, what's the scoop on making JDM engines street-legal in the US?
I know the Mazda RX-7s are on the US' eligibility list (yes, that
includes the '95 RX-7s, which many of you already know wasn't
officially available in the US by Mazda).  Then there's the Nissan
Skyline.  ;)

Since the RX-7 is on the list, shouldn't the RX-7s engine also be on
that list?  I find it difficult to believe that I can import an RX-7,
go through all the modifications and whatnot to make it street legal,
yet I can't put in a USDM 13B that came out of a '94 RX-7 in a
DeLorean.  Sounds like crap.  ;)

Please enlighten.  Thanks in advance.