[DML] Re: Estimate

This topic comes up often. The problem with your logic is that you
must budget for the parts and you have no idea what you will need and
what it will cost. By going in "on the cheap" ie; buying a car that
needs a lot of work (and possibly isn't even running) unless you have
worked on Deloreans and understand what they usually need you are
setting yourself up for a major disappointment. By "stretching" to buy
the car you will not have sufficient funds to see the project through.
You could easily spend more on parts and labor than you will spend on
the car. A "dead" 81 5-speed can be worth anywhere from $1,000 to
$10,000 of course depending on condition. The trouble is if it doesn't
run you can't properly assess the condition. It could have a blown
engine, trans, clutch, brakes, etc. If it doesn't drive you are buying
a pile of parts that happens to look like a car. It could also take a
long time for you to get it working. You need a good place to work on
the car and tools so figure that into your costs. Unless you are very
handy and have a lot of time and money the safest way is to at least
buy a running car. Now you are in the $7-$10 K range. Maybe you should
wait until you can save up enough so you CAN buy the better car. You
don't need $28 K either. You should be able to get a very nice driver
for $12-$15 K.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757