[DML] Re: Local tire shop

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683@xxxx> wrote:
> I was looking for a set of used rear tires at a local tire shop and
> they would not even tell me if they had any P235/60HR15 tires
unless i
> told them what they were for, i just said "they were for my car"
and he
> insisted i tell him what kind of car it was for before he would
bother
> to look for them. Anybody ever run into this problem with their car
> before?
<SNIP>

People are strange about things like this. In the past when I've
inquired about parts
for my car @ my local auto parts store, I've been asked what kind of
car it's for, and
when I have told them, I always get the same question shot back, even
though I have
assured them that my car isn't in their system; "Who makes DeLorean?"
And while this
normally isn't a problem, I did get into a nasty shouting match with
a guy @ a
CarQuest once. He refused to sell me a foot of chemical resistant
hose for my clutch
reserviour. Simply on the basis that I owned a DeLorean. Something
that seemed to
puzzle his co-workers, as much as it did me. Drove over to NAPA, and
they gave me
the hose without question. I could live an eternity, and never
understand people. But I
do know that after 3 years, and 4 cars that I've worked on, I've
never been back to
CarQuest.

I've never had this problem with a tire shop. Although in one
instance, when I told the
guy over the phone what tire sizes I was requesting, he did ask me if
it was a Porsche
I was ordering for. But even then, that wasn't until after he
answered my questions.

In any case, when ordering parts such as this, question why they need
to have this
information. If they don't give you the answer you want, then buy
from someone else
who will. And while it's only speculation on my part, my guess would
be that the guy
you spoke with probably only knows how to search for the tires in his
online
inventory by make/model of car. Most likely you posed a threat to
him, because you
were going to make him work harder than he wanted to, since he didn't
know any
other way. (Spending the past 4 years staring at an AS400 terminal,
I've learned to
dictate to people over the phone how to pull up account history on
everything from
my cable bill, to auto loan! "I can't find your account history"
changes pretty quick
when you tell them how to navigate the notes, and ledger screens). So
either call back
later to speak with someone else, or take your business to a more
competent
establishment.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"