Re: [DML] Venturing for some thoughts...

Re: [DML] Venturing for some thoughts...

Marc's assessment is what I would consider the most accurate of all.

Those of you with good running engine and solid car history are blessed.

I believe that the PRV CAN be a reliable engine, but this is not
necessarily always the case.

Parts for the PRV are not exceptionally expensive.  The service IS.
Price out engine work at one of the 'dedicated vendors'.  When I first
got my car, it ran absolutely horribly.  I tried to find someone in the
area to look at the car, and could find NOT ONE shop that was willing to
work on the car/engine.  Of course, it did not help that the car ran
horribly, because it couldn't be driven to anywhere, plus was incapable
of passing emissions testing.  This situation often ends with someone
trying to fix the car themselves- which sometimes goes full circle; where
it runs horribly and they sell to someone else.

I counted SIX different methods of fuel enrichment that the engine
employs.  When more than one of these systems are failing, bypassed, or
10 other things that a backyard mechanic might decide to do, tracking
down the problems gets time consuming and expensive in parts.

Not everyone has the right tools to diagnose fuel or ignition problems.
Control pressure regulators and fuel distributors aren't just sitting
around so you can check if what you have is functioning correctly.   You
need to be certain of what is causing your problems, because spending
hundreds on a CPR, fuel distributor, ignition distributor, etc add up
very quickly.

If you like to work on your car(s), the Delorean is not a bad choice.  As
far as cars go, it is rather well laid out, I think.  1000 things have
their own little place and perform exactly one task.

I will say on the PRV's behalf.  It does like to RUN.  Most cars I've
owned are either running perfect or something is very very wrong.  I've
seen countless PRVs in various states of functioning- from 10 to 100% and
everywhere in between.

Jim
1537

On Wed, 5 May 2004 10:58:13 -0700 (PDT) Marc Levy <malevy_nj@xxxxxxxxx>
writes:
> Cost of conversion is not cheap.  If you have not
> purchased the car yet, find one that has a well
> maintained engine.  There is nothing specificaly
> unreliable about the PRV as compared to other engine
> choices.
>
> Conversion is a good way to get more power, not less..

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!