[DML] R12 Availability (was Re: AC Service)

[DML] R12 Availability (was Re: AC Service)

Many of the drop-ins contain a small proportion of propane, which for
some reason scares the crap out of everyone here. For some reason
nobody is scared about the 10-30 gallons of gasoline though. . . .
(editorial opinion).

At any rate, if you do use a "drop in" here the A/C service places
will refuse to deal with you if you ever take a car in there because
it will contaminate their R12. They do work quite well though.

The reason R12 is coming down in price is like that, as James
mentions, many of the still-running older cars (pre 1996) have been
converted, and wrecking yards have to scavenge the R12 as cars are
scrapped. Although no new R12 is being manufactured, second-hand
supply is actually increasing as demand goes down. If you can get it
reasonably it's still the way to go.

Dave Swingle

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Gutkowski <webmaster@xxxx>