[DML] RE: input shafts

Marc said:
<<I beleive the failure part is the internaly splined coupling inside of the transmission.  Not the input
shaft itself.  I dont think spline design is the issue with input shaft failure on engine conversions.

Darryl (Former owner of Specialty Auto in Washington state) had a custom one made for his Chevy conversion.  If he is still on the list, he can give more detail.>>

Exactly right.  Its the coupler on the other end of the input shaft that will fail, in 3rd gear on a freeway on-ramp 100 miles from home on a Sunday night (trust me on this).  It is very soft material and is only splined in 3 places, not all the way around.  I suspect it functions like a shear pin or fuse, failing in order to protect more expensive parts.  I had a new one made by an aerospace machine shop, heat treated to bulletproof.  I also had the lead removed from my right foot.  300HP is fun, but it can be costly....

Darryl Tinnerstet
(formerly Specialty Automotive)
McCleary, WA