[DML] DeLorean ownership; an ego trip?

Aaron,

I want to commend you for writing one of the most insightful comments
about DeLorean ownership that I ever recall reading in DMC News.

Indeed, if the guy or gal driving that Mustang, rice burner, 911 Turbo,
or Lotus, looks our way it?s because they are car conscious; not because
they envy us.  As you indicated, they could be driving one if they
really wanted to. Instead they have chosen to drive what they?re driving
because they feel that is the better car.

And as for the others who look our way, they are looking, as you so
accurately postulate, because they are wondering what the heck it is?
Beyond that I don?t think they give a tinker?s dam that it?s a DeLorean.
You probably couldn?t pay them to drive one.

While there are people who drive what they drive for ego gratification
and attention, I think a lot more couldn?t care less what someone else
is driving. Cars to them are more of a nuisance and necessity than a
prized position.

While I?m putting in my two-bits worth, I want to also say that I don?t
understand why some DeLorean owners on this list seem to get so upset
when people they meet make mistaken statements about the DeLorean. In a
way it can be humorous; nothing to loose one?s patience over or become
irate about. What difference can that really make in the overall scheme
of things? To me it just shows that the car at some point made a lasting
impression on them and I find that a compliment. When someone does make
erroneous statements about the car one can tell them the truth if it?s
convenient but beyond that it?s really not a big deal.

An Old Coot