Re: [DML] Re: catalytic converter question

Re: [DML] Re: catalytic converter question

Increased Octane Ratings decrease predetonation and
increase the detonation temperature in the combustion
chamber by adding longer-chain hydrocarbons and other
"additives" (such as historically Lead and currently
Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether) that are less
compressive, thus resistant to early detonation and/or
diesel detonation when the combustion chamber is
hotter.

The reason that increased octane rating results in
lower emissions (it does...) is that the higher
temperature spark necessary to detonate the fuel/air
mixture causes a hotter explosion, thus increasing
both power in the stroke of the engine, and fewer
partially-combusted particles (Volatile component of
emissions)...

Low R+M/2 rating gas has more light hydrocarbons than
high R+M/2 rating gas, thus requiring less energy to
break the molecular bond and intitiate the combustion
sequence in the chamber.  In addition, low rated gas
has fewer carbon bonds, thus less potential energy.

Fuels such as JP-8 (jet propultion fuel used in
fighter aircraft) have incredible potential energy, as
they have very high octane molecule %, requiring a
hotter ignition source (not a problem in jet engines)
and thus a higher efficency...

Pete

http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/print_splash