[DML] Re: Dual Exhaust.

Will post some pics to #5939's photo album AFTER the clutch disc is
replaced. I don't own a digital camera, so perhaps someone at Mid
Atlantic could do the honors next weekend...

I'm using stock manifolds. Mated to them are custom flanges and
stainless flex tubing (2"). The tubing wraps around the engine cradles
like rams horns, passing between the drive axles and the lower support
arms. Mufflers are mounted vertically in the dead space between the
engine cradle and rear fascia (directly under the frame). Exhaust tips
exit the rear fascia in the stock location.

I don't have Lambda, so O2 sensors weren't needed.

My exhaust system was conceived for improved access, not performance.
I'm sure there are advantages to bigger diameter pipes, no catalytic
converter, etc, but that wasn't my primary motivation. I just wanted
to get rid of that stupid exhaust crossover pipe. I also wanted to be
able to rotate my engine with a socket wrench. Plus heat from the
stock muffler is hazardous to both rubber on the front of the engine
and the rear fascia.

You haven't lived until you see a PRV from the back without the
crossover pipe. Access is amazing. Distributor cap and wires are
totally exposed (the upper air assembly still needs to be raised to
get enough clearance to lift them off). Clutch slave cylinder is
similarly exposed -- 5 minutes to install, no joke. If you stick your
head next to the transmission you can even see into the "valley of
death" (is kind of hard to aim flashlight beam downwards, however. You
mostly look across it rather than down into it). JZD could have made
everyone's life a lot easier by eliminating the crossover pipe to
begin with.

My new exhaust system is noticeably louder than the factory setup.
Deeper in tone too. Takes a little getting used to, but I'd be happy
with glass packs if that's what it took to eliminate the crossover
pipe. Trying to install the transmission with it in place is probably
the root cause of my failed clutch installation.

I now have a 100% gutted catalytic converter (wire mesh is gone too),
with intact studs, available for sale. I'll bring it to Mid Atlantic
and Pigeon Forge if anyone wants to buy. Reduces back pressure and
lowers exhaust temperature significantly. Oh, I also have a stock
muffler, with brackets and bushings, available too. Crossover pipe was
cut for the brackets to hold my new flanges -- sorry.

Bill Robertson