[DML] Steering column upper U-joint

After pulling out the steering rack thinking that was what was causing
the very sticky steering, I decided to pull out the lower column shaft
to clean and lube it. I discovered that the upper half of the the upper
U-joint was seized up. No wonder the thing was such a bear to steer.

  After soaking it with WD-40, giving it a few wonks with a hammer and
about 10 minutes of frustration I got it to break free. For the next
hour i worked it back and forth soaking it with oil every few minutes
and got it to move much more freely but not nearly as free as the rest
of the joints. For now, I have it soaking in a jar of oil until I can
work on it again next weekend.

Does anyone have any ideas on getting this back to the way it should
be. I can't see any way to pull the joint apart to really clean and
lube it and I hate the thought of having to spend $364 for a new
shaft/u-joint .

Phil Priestley
Vin#2105