Re: [DML] Concours Judging For Options & Accessories

Re: [DML] Concours Judging For Options & Accessories

I both agree, and disagree with you on this subject here.

A councourse competition is important. We can set the standards for
what truly is original. This helps to educate prospective owners, and
help build confidence in them to know that a standard has been set.
Therefore increasing the value of our cars, thru that confidence.

However, you're absolutely right that we must also take the same
amount of effort, if not even more to futher educate people as to what
makes a safe, reliable car that is suitable for daily driving, even if
it isn't used for that purpose. But in order to do this, we mussent
sacrifice anything in the concourse catergory. Instead, competition
needs to be divided into 3 catergories:

1. Concourse.
Must be presentable as an example of the state that a freshly
assembled car *should* have appeared, according to it's build date, as
soon as it left the assembly line. To hell with Dealer Options. If
you've got a Luggage Rack installed, IMO, you should have points
deducted, as you have modified the car. If a part as been replaced for
safety reasons, (ie coolant bottle), original component must accompany
the car, and must be ready to re-install WITHOUT any modifications
nessisary to the car. Plus, replacement/substituted parts MUST be
installed the same way. So if you've got an SS Braided Clutch line, it
MUST be installed in the same location as the original. If it's run on
the side of the chassis next to the A/C hoses, deduct points. If two
of more cars are tied for position, fuction of Air Conditioning system
should be tested. Lowest ambient duct temperature, quickest cooling
effiency, etc.

2. Driver Ready.
Car must retain as stock an appearance as possible, but must meet, or
exceed factory intended reliability. Must have all Safety Campaigns
installed, and known factory issues MUST be rectified, but MUST
function as closely to factory specifications as possible! Ie. Deduct
one point for a Blue Fan Fail relay. No points for facctory bypass
wires. Add one point if Hervey's Maxi-Brute installed, but add two for
Fan Zilla. Both perform the same task, but the Fan Zilla retains the
function of the Fan Fail light. However, bonus points can be added if
independant engineering is incorporated. So, I've you've got a Fan
Zilla that retains the "Fan Fail" light, BUT utilized independant
wiring to isolate the fans, that would be consideration for an extra
point. In addition, and wiring modifications would have to look as
stock as possible with both wiring conduit, and aditional fuse boxes
that may be installed. After market raidios are permitted, as would be
speakers. BUT, they must retain as stock an appearance as possibble.
Kickpanel speakers are acceptable, as well as speakers mounted in the
rear firewall, above the Parcel Shelf, deduct points for speaker
boxes, and exposed amplifiers that interfear with the intended
function of the parcel shelf. If an R-134a conversion has been
completed, the duct temperature must either meet, or exceed factory
specs for ambient duct temperatures. Upgraded alternators, turn signal
conversions, etc. If judges cannot understand, or question any
modifications, owner explanation of function, and appearance may be
taken into consideration. In addition, any parts that have been
replaced, shouldn't be cross-over. Ie. Non-Girling hydraulics,
non-Lift-o-Mat struts, etc. If something is in question, owner should
provide proof that the part(s) in question were indeed purchased thru
an approved DeLorean vendor. Non-functional accessories should only be
considered in the even of a tie-breaker, but should have points
deducted regardless, if they have been improperly applied/installed.
ie. misaligned Sidestripes, luggage racks, etc. Although, bonus
acccessories that are installed, and help function, such as the
luggage rack for transporting a spare tire, should be given extra
points. And still this can go on, and on to be hammered out further.
Depending, we may actually be able to reward people additional points
for higher milage as well...

3. Peoples' Choice.
Anything goes, and everyone gets to cast their vote for their favorite
car among the participants. Depending upon participation, this can be
divided ever further between both painted, and unpainted cars. No
restrictions on cars, except that they must be posses the same
reliability factor as cars in the "Driver Ready" catergory have, but
there are no restrictions on drivetrain originality. No points
deduction, just eligibility qualifications to enter.

And as with all, restrictions on how many participants per competition
can be limited, or divided up between milage. We really do need
something definetive such as these two catergories to answer two very
important questions: "What is original?", and just as important, "What
is reliable?" Educate people, and you kill the stigma around our cars.
You'll also perk interest, and raise values, and encourage vendor
loyalty on the side too.

If you want people to speak out about what direction to take our cars
for these competitions, consider all of this.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Bob Brandys <BobB@xxxx> wrote:
> Marc,
>
> You raise an very important question that we are also trying to
reconcil
> with other car clubs.
>
> Here is the best example,  a stock Nash Metropolitan had no seat
belts,
> poor brakes and only stick shift.
>
> Clearly, a metropolitan without seat belts is a very serious safety
> hazard.  Should this car be given more points than a car with seat
belts?
<SNIP>