Re: [DML] Digest Number 1953, Coolant leak

Re: [DML] Digest Number 1953, Coolant leak

In a message dated 4/6/2004 8:15:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I was able to remove the rear facia, and now
have a good angle at the pump, can I simply remove the pump without
unbolting the intake? Or am I in for a massive project?
               Mr. T.
10440
You are in for an interesting learning experience!
Yes, it is a massive project.
No, you can not remove the pump and replace the hose without removing the
intake manifold. Some of the more experienced people on the list can do it, but I
would not recommend it for a first timer! Once you get in there you will
understand!
I had the same problem last year and replaced the water pump, 2 water hoses,
3 vacuum hoses and one of the sensors -- all under the intake. Plus a bunch of
other parts.

My recommendation:
1. Make sure that you have the parts manual so you can identify the many
parts you will be
removing.
2. There are two excellent "how to" articles in the archives on the subject.
Print them out, you will be needing them! DO NOT NEGLECT THIS STEP!
3. Order a new water pump WITH the pulley.
4. Order the repair kit with the required hoses from PJ Grady. (Look up the
reason on their web site.)
5. Order the vacuum hoses from John Hervey (PJ's recommendation!)
6. While you are in the ordering process, get a couple of 7mm bolts for
"just-in case". (I broke one and they are impossible to find anywhere!)
7. Get a box of small white marking tabs (with a string loop attached) from
Office Max and mark every single piece you remove! On some of the parts (hoses
for example), mark each end!
8. While you are in there and unless they were changed less than 5 years ago,
replace the spark plug wires also. Same for the rest of the coolant hoses all
along the system!
9. If you have a digital camera, take lots of pictures as you go along!

- In all probability you will end up calling your favorite DMC vendor at
least once.
- Don't expect to get it done in a day or two!
- If you don't like the idea to do it yourself, a qualified Volvo dealer will
charge about $1500 for the job!
- Have fun!

Roger
1075