[DML] Re: Coolant Leak Problem HELP ME!

I had a simular situation, when one of my bypass hoses burst. Mine
was the one on the passenger side, and was replaced w/o removing a
thing. But was still far from being an easy task. In any case, you'll
really want to put a cooling system pressure tester on the system
(easily borrowed from most auto parts stores). When you crank up the
pressue, you can then see/hear where the leak is comming from.
Although, in this case, it sounds to me like a disconnected hose,
rather than a ruptured one. Assuming in your description that you now
experience the coolant pouring out with the engine off, and the
system under no pressure.

If nothing else, you've learned a valuable lesson. If your engine
begins to overheat, PULL OVER IMMEDIATELY!!! Unless you're in
traffic, and have to drive agressivly to reach safety, pull over, and
STOP! Side of the road, random parking lot, they'll all work just
fine in letting your car park there while you let it cool down, or
walk to the auto parts store for coolant, and fan belt, etc...
Walking isn't any big deal, and just takes a little more time. If you
MUST drive to the store, because your in the middle of "BFE", or
elsewhere, then park the car, let it cool for a while, and then drive
until it heats back up, pull over, and repeat the cooling process.

Best case senario: You overheat, pull over, repair the issue (such as
a belt, or low coolant), and continue down the road. Next worst case,
you don't pull over in time, and puke out your coolant, and possibly
damage a cooling hose. Worst Case: You continue down the road, trying
to make it to a safe place, rather than stopping, and warp your Head
Gaskets!

I don't know what exactly has caused your problem here, but from the
sound of it, something in your cooling system failed, and because the
car was allowed to overheat, you then had a hose failure because the
car overheated. The car didn't overheat because you had a hose fail.
Otherwise, you would have seen steam first, and then the car would
have overheated.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "thinkstainless" <stldrgn@xxxx> wrote:
> Hey guys, having overheating problems with my D. It was overheating
> one day while I was driving and I was trying to make it to a
service
> station when all this smoke plumed out of my engine compartment,
> after pulling over, you could smell coolant everywhere and it was
all
> over the compartment.
<SNIP>