[DML] Re: Coolant Leak Problem HELP ME!

How old are your hoses?

As "someone" suggested, it's either a hose on the rear of the pump or
the waterpump shaft seal has blown. There is a hole in the casting on
the underside of the water pump shaft where the coolant runs right
out if the seal is shot. You can stick your finger behind the pulley,
on the underside of the casting and feel it.

I hate to break it to you, but you usually have to remove the intake
for this job. I was able to do it without pulling the intake once but
only because I had screwdrivers of all funky lengths and all the hose
clamp screws were pointed in -exactly- the right directions. In the
end, I had to pull the intake to seat everything properly anyway.

Contrary to popular myth, this is -not- an impossible job. I'd say
removing the fuel/mixture control unit is the biggest hassle, not the
intake. The only trick is merely to lable all of your hardware, fuel
and electrical connections for easy reassembly. Oh, and buy the
intake O-ring seals from a vendor -before- you begin. This will
prevent vacuum leaks at reassembly.

As David Titlebaum's favorite phrase is "While you're in there..."
I recommend replacing all hoses in that vicinity. That way you only
have to go in there ONE time. Heck, I was so paranoid I even replaced
all switches and sensors in the coolant "Y" pipe under the intake
with brandy-new ones from Houston. Also inspect that metal heater
hose pipe to make sure it's not about to rust through. It also runs
under the intake. Lastly, clean out the castings in the "valley".
Make sure there's no coolant rotting a hole in the engine block on
you, and get all the dirt, hardware, dead rodents and what-all that
have accumulated in there.

Despite the length of my reply, it's not that ugly of a job. A day,
depending on how rusty your engine hardware is. Many days if you snap
off a bunch of bolts. :)

Rich

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "thinkstainless" <stldrgn@xxxx> wrote:
> Hey guys, having overheating problems with my D. It was overheating
> one day while I was driving and I was trying to make it to a
service
> station when all this smoke plumed out of my engine compartment,
> after pulling over, you could smell coolant everywhere and it was
all
> over the compartment. Now when I goto add more coolant it all pours
> out. First you hear a drizzling sound as if it were leaking
> somewhere, then it all pours out from beneith the water pump.
Someone