[DML] Re: BAD BATTERY TWICE

When you turn the key to the "run" position (without starting the
car) does the alternator discharge light come on? If so, this is
good. If not, then the warning bulb may be burnt out. Does the
discharge light come on when the engine -is- running? If not, then
your alternator is likely fine.

You most likely have a "load" on the battery due to a short somewhere
in the electrical system. I've heard that the OEM door lock module
can cause this sometimes.

Get a volt or multimeter and with the car and accessories turned
completely off, measure battery voltage. You should see it slowly
dropping. At this point, pull one fuse at a time from the fuse block
until the voltage drop STOPS. This will enable you to isolate which
subsystem has the ground or short which is loading the battery.

>From there, it's the un-fun task of tracing wires looking for
previous-owner hacks, and cuts in the insulation on the affected
subsystem. Some owners buy battery cut-off switches to isolate the
battery when the car is in storage. That's fine for long-term storage
but in my opinion it's a band-aid fix for short-term parking/rapid
battery death.

Hope this helps,

Rich A.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, john podlewski <flyboy_6876@xxxx>
wrote:
> Had my battery die on me, NEW Q.State Twice!  YES TWICE!
> TWO DIFFERENT BATTERY'S
> 12.66 Volts!
> Second battery lasted two weeks until the car sat more than two to
three days it died completely no lights, no gages, no nothing any
suggestions?  Until Jumped, but I suspect it to die any time now!