[DML] door openers

I usually remain a lurker but I wanted to comment on Darryl's post
about door openers. I installed a system years ago which included
alarm, remote start, keyless entry, and door opening in one combined
unit. I selected the control unit and motor driven actuators over
solenoids for specific reasons, mainly the ease in which they could
be intergrated into the car's existing wiring and the all-in-one
functionality. I rejected solenoids due to their weight, high inrush
current, and their suceptability to failure from insulation breakdown
caused by inductive kickback. The size required also prevents hidden
installation, something easily acomplished using geared motor driven
linear actuators

As a machine design engineer I researched many types of actuators for
the proper specs and robustness and chose one particular brand after
studying everything available. It later turned out these are the same
units Darryl (now Toby) offers. They performed flawlessly since day
one and when the car was disposed of had nearly one thousand total
operations. (I know this because the system counted each door
operation.)

Although I didn't get the actuators from Darryl or Toby, in deference
to the contributions they've both made to the D community I'll
decline from revealing the source. My point is you can have complete
faith in them. The Zilla design is vaporware and who knows how long
it'll be until it's a reality. And although it may offer plug and
play, installing Darryl's actuators aren't difficult.

The other point I'll make is you should interlock the system to
prevent unintended door openings. (I'm not sure the Zilla design will
even offer such a feature.) You may forget to lock your doors and
even if you do the system should have a safety function built in. It
can be done many ways, the car I did wouldn't release the doors if
the speed was over 20 mph. There are simpler ways to implement this
interlock if you don't wish to sample speed. Darryl is right, why
wait for something that is available now and has a proven track
record?

Just my two cents based on experience.

Endotex23