[DML] Re: More performance?

How many people have tried to up the HP on DeLoreans? Generally
speaking, whatever you do will lead to compromises in looks,
durability, emissions, and drivability. Today's 3.0L engines can
yield over 200 hp but what is doing it? The HP is attained through
improvements in ignition, fuel delivery, variable timing, more
valves per cylinder, etc. A typical 200+hp 3.0L today has complete
electronic ignition with a central processor monitoring crankshaft
position, anti knock sensors, throttle position, engine temperature,
air temperature, air flow, atmospheric pressure, fuel system
integrity and exhaust temperature. Fuel systems are extremely
precise and uniform in fuel delivery. All this is being evaluated
and constantly adjusted at processor speeds of 300 MHz or more. This
is certainly no match for our 2.9L D V6.

That said however, the DeLorean V6 can, in my opinion, be improved
best by improving the spark delivery. The stock mechanical spark
system fails to deliver precise spark for efficient burn above 5,000
RPM which is typical for mechanical spark systems. Over the years
several dyno tests people have done including an extensive one done
by DeLorean One on a twin turbo engine of Ed Bernstein's that
showed, in addition to fuel delivery for the twin turbos, spark
could be improved. Improvements in the spark will, I believe,
deliver some key performance enhancements. Short of changing to a
complete electronic spark I have been monitoring DMCH's Nology
Hotwires upgrade and also John Hervey's ignition enhancements. I
have decided to try out DMCH. As soon as the weather breaks here in
NJ (think warmer) I am going to install a kit. My engine mechanical
is completely OEM. I have nearly 40,000 miles on the current tune-up
so I might not be doing a fair before and after comparison but by
the time I get to PF I should have enough miles on it to know how it
is going to behave.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, nicholden@xxxx wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I will be recieving my Delorean very soon and plan on undertaking
> full ground up restoration. I have been looking into the
performance
> upgrade options and quite fancy fitting a belt driven
supercharger.