[DML] Re: Replacing heat sheild.

Steve - It's okay to jack up the engine after unbolting the motor
mounts, without disconnecting anything else ... if you just raise
the engine up the minimum amount to get the heat shield replaced.
You will put stresses on several different tubes and pipes, but they
should be okay with it.  The oil pan is fairly sturdy, but I would
personally use the flange where the pan bolts up the the block just
under the crank shaft pulley.  If you do use the pan itself, spread
the load out with a 2 X 4 across its width.  It is a cast aluminum
piece, so its rather brittle.  Watch out that you don't bind the
exhaust tips on the rear fascia.  You only have an inch or so of
clearance there.  You may have to loosen the muffler clamps and
other attachments to let the muffler rotate down a bit.  Have fun!

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Stephen Jaeger" <sjaeger@xxxx>
wrote:
> I have to replace the heat shield that goes around the catalytic
converter. I need a little room between
> the cat and the frame to do this. I was hoping someone could save
me some time by confirming
> that I can raise the engine a few inches after loosening the
engine mounting bolts only and not having