[DML] Re: Rust under T Panel

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "jmlaux83" <jmlaux83@xxxx> wrote:
> Over the past few months I have been going over my delorean and
> checking everything since it has been sitting since 1997. Today I
> removed my T-panel to find that the weatherprood tape over the wire
> harness has rotted, however the seal was still intact so I figured
> that no moisture got in. I decided to check under the seal anyways
> just in case. When I opened it up the entire lid on the inside had
> rust on it. I reached inside the hole and felt that both the top
and
> the bottom had rust on the inside as well. I will eventually have
> replace this which looks like an involved job. The facility in
Texas
> would probably be able to do this, right?
> Jason
> Vin#2256

Hi Jason.

My car had similar rust in the roof support.  I removed it from the
underbody, had it sandblasted, repainted it, sealed it heavily and
put it back in.  You are right.  It is a very involved job.  If
you're mechanically inclined, you could do it yourself.  I'll share
my experience with you if you do.  If you don't want to do it
yourself, I would recommend you hire Rob Grady to do it.  No matter
who you hire, expect to pay a lot.  It's a lot of work, unless your
doors are already off.  I bet a lot of cars are driving with this
problem, and predict this will be a bigger problem with lots of
Deloreans as the fleet ages and the roofs start to buckle.  Perhaps
you should just ignore it until it causes structural trouble.  I only
did mine because I had the car completely apart already.

Rick Gendreau 11472