Re: [DML] Tires (again?) XGT's Chrome and other dumb questions

Re: [DML] Tires (again?) XGT's Chrome and other dumb questions

In a message dated 3/10/04 11:29:09 AM Central Standard Time,
videobob@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> This is an out of pocket costs of over $1000 if you keep your own
> tires....Not to mention loosing your old rims, which appearantly are
> worth $800 to Don Steger so I suppose you could get that for a
> set....meaning you are spending about $1800, or $450.00 per rim!
> Damn, now that I think about it I feel hosed!
> You can buy some damned nice rims for that sort of bread!
> Also, the black paint on the inside seems like it would come off easily.
> There was a lot of overspray in little bits on the front of the rim
> and I could easily scratch it off with my finger nail.
> So time will tell.

I don't see how you come up with a $450 per rim figure.
Here's the way I see it:
$800 for rims +$800 core (refunded upon Don's receipt of your rims) plus
$100(?) shipping.   that comes out to $800 + $100 = $900 (since the 2nd $800 is
refunded) divided by four wheels = $225 per rim + tires (which is an expense you
should be bearing regardless since you don't even have the right size tires
in the first place, so you can't count that against Don).  Think of it this
way: you are giving your OEM rims to Don so he can chrome them and paint the
insides for $225 per wheel.  that's really all it is except you don't get the
exact same wheels you sent him.  the $225 would include repairing and machining
the wheels, prepping them, dipping them, and whatever else is necessary to paint
the insides.

If you shopped around, you would find that $225/rim is a pretty reasonable
cost if you were to replace them with something else, AND the $800+core is more
or less the same deal ALL DMC vendors charge weather you want painted,
chromed, polished, or machined OEM wheels.

The only valid point I see is whether or not they will stand the test of time
and the elements.  I'm sure if they didn't last at least a couple of years
Don would work somethng out with you - he is a great guy!

Andy