[DML] Re: Starting problem

I would start with making sure you have spark. Remove a spark plug
wire and stick something in it and lay it so it is close to the metal
of the motor. While cranking the motor you should see a fat blue
spark. No spark or a weak yellow one would indicate a problem with the
ignition system. Check the connections to the white ballast resistors.
You may need a new pick-up coil in the distributer. If you do get a
nice blue spark then put the wire back on and shoot a SMALL amount of
ether into the intake. That should make it run for a couple of seconds
confirming a fuel problem. Now make sure the fuel pump is runing,
check the inertia switch and then listen for the pump. If it isn't
running check the #5 fuse. If it is running you may need some more
gas. You could have a bad suction hose. Check if you are getting power
to the fuel pump and that the ground connection is good. It could be
something as simple as a bad fuel pump too. The thing here is to try
to narrow down the possible causes, start by figuring out if it is
electrical or fuel.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757