[DML] Re: Seeking advice on buying a DeLorean

[DML] Re: Seeking advice on buying a DeLorean

(I apologize in advance for the length of this message.)

Thank you everyone for your continued replies.

>> I am afraid you are wrong about the Lotus and fooling yourself about
>> the Delorean...

Good to hear -- that's why I'm here, to get my research done before
purchasing the car.

>> Delorean maintenance is not cheap as evidenced by the number of
>> truely horrid examples out there...

Still sounds strikingly like my Fiero. If I let anyone else touch it,
it costs me an arm and a leg, and they break more than they fix. And
that's if the car is stock! My latest has a 3800SC engine in it;
completely custom and I'm not even sure someone else would work on it
at any price. That's fine, I prefer doing it myself.

>> You are correct that most of the parts are less expensive, but
>> expect to buy a lot of them initially.

I suppose I had planned on mitigating this by spending $15-20k on the
car. Sure, it's going to need some work eventually - probably sooner
rather than later - but if I have to dump several thousand dollars
into it right away then it's not a $20k car and I'll find a D that is.
Is that not an accurate assumption? (It is assumed that I would
immediately purchase and install the Zilla fan & door controllers
after buying the car, if it did not already have them)

>> The most important point is the
>> "passion." If you don't have it, you will hate this car.

I've always had it. I've got my John DeLorean book, my DeLorean
poster, and my DeLorean die-cast model in my office at home. ;) Just
waiting for the real thing to fill my garage.

>> What that letter is saying, is don't expect to just buy and drive
>> like you would expect a Honda or a Toyota.

Never once thought that would be the case. I've always assumed I would
have to tear into the car a few times a year to repair something. I'm
used to it with my Fieros and didn't figure a DeLorean would be any
different.

I know what would help me - if some of you would be so kind as to
share your DeLorean repair stories. Any of these would be great to hear:

- Horror stories. What is the most difficult repair job you've had to
deal with? Difficulty being assessed in terms of the job itself as
well as locating parts.

- Maybe you can post your last year's worth of repairs - what have you
had to fix?

- Or simply just tell me how many times a year you have to repair
something, on average.

If you're digging into the car once every three to four months for
things other than oil changes, I'm comfortable with that level of
maintenance. However, that Lotus FAQ makes it look like you're
constantly repairing something. If I have to fix the car every single
weekend, then I don't want a DeLorean. Somehow though I don't think
this is the case.

The Lotus folks really scared me off with their FAQs and warnings. I
never joined the list, just decided that I didn't want to buy a $35k
car that I'd have to work on constantly. But again, I have to wonder
if the maintenance is really all that bad. Coming from the perspective
of someone who is only used to owning a cookie cutter car, I'm sure
the maintenance on any exotic is terrible. But from my perspective,
I'm curious how different it is from the work I've had to do on my
Fieros over the years. Perhaps I can share my experience with Fieros,
and you can tell me how it compares to your DeLoreans? :

Over the past 10 years I've replaced everything: Water pumps,
alternators, belts, pieces of the exhaust system, manifolds, head
gaskets, all manner of rubber hoses and vacuum lines, EGR parts,
interior pieces, even replaced the engine in my '85 GT with assistance
from a friend. Then of course there are the regular oil changes,
coolant flushing, and other consumables such as brakes, tires, shocks,
etc. I have a well equipped shop and with the exception of tires &
suspension I do all work myself. However, the day to day maintenance
is not terrible: I've owned my latest Fiero for two and a half years.
In that time, I've:

- Installed alarm system & new stereo (when I bought the car).
- Replaced an alternator
- Repaired the reversing bracket on the shift cable (the 3800SC is
made for a FWD car; the Fiero is RWD, so dropping this engine in
requires a custom built bracket to reverse the shift throw if you want
everything to be normal from the driver's perspective)
- New wheels & tires, alignment
- Reworked the custom air intake to pull cooler air from the side of
the car
- Lubed the power door lock mechanisms, as they were sticking
- Replaced the dew wipes on the power windows (on Fieros, they wear
down and begin scratching the windows if you don't replace them).
- Repaired an electrical issue with the starting circuit (finicky
relay in my alarm's engine cut-off)
- Regular oil changes, flush/filled the cooling system
- Replaced a coolant hose that burst and left me stranded
- Getting ready to replace the brakes within the next few months

This to me is minor maintenance for a 2.5 year time period. I dig into
the car 3 to 5 times per year to fix one or more things. It's what I
expect out of an older vehicle.

Can I expect the same from a well cared for D? Or, after reading this,
do you folks think I'd be getting myself deep into a nightmare?

-Ryan