[DML] Re: Delorean on the side of road in MD

[DML] Re: Delorean on the side of road in MD

You should consider replacing EVERY coolant hose. Typically the
hardest working hoses are the long curved one coming off the pump
going to the otterstadt switch and then the one you just had blow. The
one I mention is usually the first to get ugly and is usually
replaced. These hoses are the first to go because they handle the
hottest coolant going to the radiator. What you did to get going was
exactly the right thing to do but now that you know the hoses are past
their prime it is time to do a complete job. This means taking the
intake maifold off and replacing the water pump and all the seals and
hoses on top of the motor. Examine the radiator closely especally
around the tank on the left side for signs of green staining. Replace
the header bottle with a metal one. Don't forget to do the heater
hoses. At the same time you should replace the idler bearings and "O"
ring and both belts. Just call up and order a Master Water Pump Kit
and you will get everything you will need. This is also  good time to
do a complete tune-up because everything is so easy to get to. If you
can do all the work yourself it won't be TOO bad! It may be expensive
to get all these parts but consider what it would cost if you
overheated the motor and had to get towed. It could easily cost you 3
X what you will spend for the water pump kit and parts which you would
need anyway!
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757