[DML] Re: stuck driver side door

I've had a simular problem with my passenger side door, after I
replaced the handle when
it broke.

First thing you need to do is check, and see if it's the lock that's
jammed. Insert the key
into the lock, and turn it to unlock it. If it snaps back right away,
then you'll know that it's
the lock that jammed. Fixing it is rather simple, and more than
likey, the cause is that the
cable connecting the outer door handle to the bellcrank is somehow
stuck.

First thing is to slide across the center console, and into the
drivers seat. It's not that
difficult. I'm not a small person, and I can do it while wearing
workboots. Next, roll down
the window, and pull off the upper door panel.

Once the door panel is off, check the movement of the door lock
linkage. I have found that
there can be a problem with the outer door lock cable. If you tugg on
the cable accidently, you can actually pull the sheath out, and it
will get caught on the
lip of the coupling that's mounted on the door. This will preload the
cable, and it will not
let the bellcrank fully  retract. You can lock the door at this
point, but it will cause the
front latch to jam when you try to unlock it. A simular problem can
arise if the cable gets
caught on the inside of the sheath. Which my car being one from the
desert had a problem
with, due to dust getting anywhere, and everywhere in my car.

>From what I've seen, it's somewhat of a rare condition, but one that
can arise. And was
acknowleged by DMC Joe quite sometime ago. Although his remedy of
disconnecting the
front door lock, and letting it latch only to avoid this issue is a
bit of an overkill, and
unessisary step.

If you need to lubricate the doorlocks, cable, bellcrank, and
connecting rods, I'd seriously
reccomend the Spray-on White Lithium Grease that's available from
your local auto parts
store. It sprays out as a liquid, and foams up into a thick grease.
After greasing up my
door with the stuff, the difference is like night and day. I used to
have to slam the door,
and it would make a loud "CLUNK" sound. Now I can gently glide it
down with my
fingertips, and it makes a quiet "thud" as it closes. I have to
listen carefully to hear it
latching.

Anywho, start there with checking the bellcrank, and make sure that
it's not jammed. That
would be the first place I would start before even touching, or
especially adjusting any of
those connecting rods.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"