Re: [DML] Shock Kit

Jim - This is a very insightful analysis of the rear suspension
geometry.  You are quite correct in saying that the best scenario
would be a spherical bearing on the lower attachment of the rear
shock, because of the rotation that you mention.  The very best
setup that I know of are the Carrera shocks that were available at
one point.  I believe that they still are, but I will have to
contact them to verify that.  The Carrera shocks have a teflon-lined
spherical bearing to avoid the twisting force (moment) on the bolts
that you noted, as well as a fully threaded sleeve that locks to the
outside of the shock body.  They have a threaded ring spring perch
that goes on the sleeve, allowing an infinite range of height
adjustability.  The only downside is that they are quite expensive.
I'll let the List know what I find out.  These are the shocks that I
installed on Winged1 when I lowered her down in the early 90's.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 (Winged1)
DeLorean Parts Northwest
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, jwit6@xxxx wrote:
> John,
> The thought of solving the rear lower shock mount and coil spring
collar problem in the same way you chose, has crossed my mind. But I
was concerned with the stress placed on the lower shock bolt as the
trailing arm moves up and down through its travel. The trailing arm
pivots about the trailing arm bolt, and the travel at the lower
shock bolt is an arc, not a straight line. The lower shock bolt does
not remain at a constant 90 degree angle to the shock body, so in
the original design the twisting motion encountered is absorbed by
the lower shocks rubber grommet. Do your platforms lower bolt holes
ride on the steel collar that's inside the shocks rubber grommet, or
does it ride right on the lower shock bolt? Either way there is no
way to escape the twisting moment of the basic design. What is
really needed is a spherical mount bearing or rod end.

> Also, do your rear shocks allow full compression without the
shocks dust cover contacting the lower coil spring seat? Most off
the shelf shocks I've seen like the Monroes for instance require
that the dust cover be cut back to allow the required clearance.