[DML] Re: ALTERNATOR OUTPUT

It is really worse than you think. When you have a "Multiple Point
Ground" you have several circuits grounded at the same point. If you
now have a "bad" ground connection you have all of the "ground" sides
of the circuits together with the possibility of backfeeds from the
ground of 1 circuit into another. It can make diagnoses difficult to
say the least because you can have all kinds of failure modes. When
you have "weird" electrical problems the best advice is to just start
with making sure ALL the grounding points are clean and tight. Just
good preventitive maintainence. Good engineering practice encourages
Multiple Point Grounding"  to prevent gound loops but experience
teaches that it can fail in unpredicatable ways. On aircraft they use
Multiple Point Grounding but they also use redundent grounding meaning
that the grounds are also "bonded" together. On automotive
applications the theory is that the frame is the "bond" but that
doesn't always work especially after 20 years of corrosion, vibration,
and evironmental conditions.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757