[DML] Re: DeLorean steering-Alignment

The alignment specs allow for only a maximum of 5 (1/16 inch each)
washers. Any more than that and it would indicate something bent. The
total # of washers can be more than 5 if some are less than 1/16 inch.
The main point is that the total correction cannot exceed 5/16 inch on
either side. There is also the limit on the length of the trailing arm
bolt. You won't have enough thread left for the nut to hold securely
if you stick too many washers on it. You do not have to have the same
# of washers on each side. Each side can have anywhere from none to 5.
After alignment I would use a magic marker and write the # of washers
on the frame next to the bolt on each side. This way if you ever
dissasemble the trailing arm bolt you have a record of what to put
back. You cannot accurately measure the thrust angle with a bar. You
really do need to use a 4 wheel alignment rack to get it right. Spend
the $80-$100 for a proper alignment. It is cheap insurance so you
don't burn up a set of tires and it will give you a better handling
car with a nicer ride. If you never had it done you should also have
the tires spin balanced off the car. An out-of-balance tire or a bent
rim will give you a very bad ride and it is bad for all the nearby
mechanical parts, it wears them out faster. A symptom of an out of
alignment thrust angle would be that under acceleration in a turn you
could experience severe oversteer besides uneven wear on the rear tires.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "simonsays10002003"