[DML] Re: overheating

Pressure test the cooling system. Replace the circuit breaker for the
cooling fans. Bleed the system of air. Make sure you have a 50/50
mixture of anti-freeze and it is not over 2 years old. Also pressure
test the radiator (header bottle) cap. The overflow bottle is a good
idea so leave it in. I recomend a Fanzilla to make the electrical part
of the cooling system more reliable. You may have to change the
ottterstadt switch to work better with the Fanzilla. Some switches
sold by some venders run the cooling system hotter. Others run cooler.
Best to get a new one when you order the Fanzilla. To further
bullet-proof the cooling system replace the radiator and every hose if
they are over 10 years old. The air bleed fix is not really necessary
if you have a "tight" cooling system. It is useful only if you have
leaks and air gets in. A tight system, once bled, doesn't need it.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "funkstuf" <funkstuf@xxxx> wrote:
> Hi Group.
> Couple questions about this overheating business.
> My car has several items on it including the air bleeder hose fix.
> In addition, I've noticed that it doesn't have a stock antifreeze
> tank, though it appears quite similar, and strangely, it has a
> secondary antifreeze tank.  That is, the overflow hose from the
> antifreeze tank goes to a second smaller antifreeze tank on the left
> side of the trunk.  that second one then has a vented hose.
> apparentely someone had their own idea of how to solve the over
> heating problem.
> Anyway,  The other day I drove the Delorean, then let it sit and run
> a bit.  the car first heated to the middle (220, still in the white)
> previously the fans would kick on around this point.. No fans...and
> engine continued to heat to the point it was going to overheat and
> still NO FANS.. so.. I LET IT GET COMPLETELY COLD.  Then, as per the
> advice of Mr. Hervey, I took the cap off of the antifreeze tank and
> started the car and let it run for awhile.. I could see the
> antifreeze circulating.  I then drove the car a bit and let it sit
> and it begin heating up..
> It then heated up to 220 (Right in the middle) and when it went above
> this, the fans kicked on and cooled it down to just below that center
> point..  so what gives?  I thought if it had air the airbleeder hose
> would bleed the air?  Any ideas besides air.. and also, is it normal
> that fans should kick on right when it goes above the center line?
> If not, where should they turn on?
> No, I do not see any antifreeze in the exhaust, plus, I've got new
> head gaskets and the oil appears very clean so I don't suspect a leak
> there.
>
> Thanks
> Dale Funk

To visit your group on the web, go to: