[DML] Re: Replacing Radiator

I'm going to be doing one in the next week or two so I'll take
photos/write it up. It's a bit complicated since they apparently
built the car around the radiator. Biggest problem is that you
generaly break off a lot of tiny 4-5 mm bolts/studs (unless your car
has always been in the desert and nothing is rusty). Short version:
--spray PB-Blaster on everything that you need to take apart, then
wait about a day.
--Drain coolant at lower hose
--remove front stabilizer bar
--remove shroud, probably breaking a few of the studs off the grille
and spinning the rivnuts up in the body that hold the shroud in place
--take off mounting brackets.
At this point the radiator and A/C condenser are loose but attached
to each other. I generally rotate the assembly down and towards the
driver side so that I don't disconnect the freon hoses.
--disassemble the radiator from the condenser, breaking a couple more
of those little studs that are attached to the condenser.

At this point you decide if you need to fix all the studs or not, if
you do you'll need to further dis-assemble the spoiler (breaking
those studs too) and the grille. If you broke any off the condenser
they HAVE to be fixed - there are only 4. I generally drill out the
rivets on the brackets, get new studs welded on, and then rivet the
brackets back on the condenser.

Assembly is the reverse of the above.

Pictures will make this a lot clearer if you can wait.

Dave S

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "kenndeal" <kenndeal@xxxx> wrote:
> Anyone have instructions for removing and replacing the
> radiator? I see a diagram in the parts manual but can't find
> procedure in the Technical Owners Guide.
> Thanks, Kenn

To visit your group on the web, go to: