      1. Re: Pinhole Coolant Leaks
           From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@xxxxxxxxxxx>
      2. RE: Lowered suspension
           From: "W.\"Ski\" Lukowski" <vegascop1@xxxxxxxx>
      3. Re: Houston Open House
           From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      4. Re: DeLorean & Lagonda
           From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas@xxxxxxxx>
      5. Antifreeze/Car History Question.
           From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas@xxxxxxxx>
      6. Zilla photos posted to Files section
           From: "ryanjm10014" <ryanjm@xxxxxxx>
      7. NCDMC Announcement - DMC Garden Grove visit
           From: "ryanjm10014" <ryanjm@xxxxxxx>
      8. Re: Roof Door seal replacement.How?
           From: "John Elgersma" <delorean@xxxxxxxxx>
      9. Re: DeLorean & Lagonda
           From: "Henry" <henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 03:45:09 -0000
   From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Pinhole Coolant Leaks

The root cause IS the anti-freeze! When it changes ph and becomes
acidic it becomes more and more of an electolyte. When it is in
contact with the different types of metals a potential is created
between them. In effect you have a battery and the lower potential
metal on the EM chart dissolves which means the aluminum is the first
to go with the thinner parts showing the damage first. You will also
see damage to the brass with the least to the steel. This also happens
if you use a float charger and leave it on all of the time with the
battery in the car. The AC current will leak a tiny bit and cause
damage. The best advice is to remove the battery when you store the
car and try to never charge the battery in the car. Another problem
unique to the Delorean is the lack of grounding points in the car. If
there is a current between parts the body can't carry it so it could
go through the car in the cooling system causing the deplating. On
boats they use a sacrificial anode to prevent damage to the parts you
want to protect. It is made of zinc which is very easy to dissolve so
it disappers first instead of the propelor or rudder! You also have
one in your water heater for exactly the same reason, electrolosys. (I
am sure I speeled that one wrong!) There are many types of corrosion,
stress, chemical, and electralasys to name a few. The bottom line is
there are buffering additives to hold the ph of the anti-freeze within
a tight range but they wear out. The anti-freeze could be fine as far
as having a low freezing point but when the additives wear out
corrosion can begin. Unless you monitor the ph you should replace the
coolant on a 2 year schedule especially if you have aluminum parts in
the cooling system. You can go to the auto store and buy a bottle of
test strips like used for a swimming pool to test the anti-freeze if
you want to try to increase the flushing cycle. Anti-freeze isn't that
expensive though so the best advice is to just change it, do it every
2 years when you do the brake fluid.
David Teitelbaum

Message: 2