      1. Re: trailing arm bolt removal
           From: tobyp@xxxxxxxxxxxx
      2. Re: Re: New Magazine
           From: RJRavalli@xxxxxxx
      3. RE: Re: whiny engine
           From: "Palatinus, Joe" <jopalatinus@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
      4. Re: Re: temp gauge not responding
           From: "K Creason" <dmc4687@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      5. What other cars used the PRV-V6
           From: jugeauj@xxxxxxxx
      6. Re: Re: DeLorean mentioned in Magazine
           From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount@xxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 22:00:04 -0000
   From: tobyp@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: trailing arm bolt removal

Joe - During the tech sessions that I mentioned in my previous post,
we were at a members' home with a mechanics pit in the garage.  The
cars were sitting over the pit for the removal.  A jack was placed at
the side being worked on, using the underbody jacking point, and the
car is lifted until the tire just left the floor.  This allowed the
wheel and trailing arm to be manipulated slightly to find the position
where the bolt becomes unloaded.  It can then be tapped or pulled out.
At most, you will see a slight shifting of the arm, but there should
be no sudden movements to be concerned about.  Keep track of washers,
shims, etc.  The bolts can be inspected or replaced with new bolts,
placing the washers back into their original positions as the joint is
reassembled.  As noted in other posts, there is some amount of wear on
the washers, due to movement of components in the joint (a function of
the "crappy bolt" bending under load).  I recommend turning the
washers to provide a fresh surface against the sleeves in the arm and
bushing.  We found that the bolt will slip back in easier if the car
is lowered slowly until a small amount of weight is on the wheel.
This seems to get the holes in both the arm and the rubber bushing to
line up better.  You snug the nut onto the bolt, lower the car to put
full weight on the wheel, and then perform the final torque.

As I indicated earlier, I will be posting again with details of what I
have done for myself and a handful of PNDC cars.  I was delayed last
night by urgent maintenance requirements on my wife's Explorer.

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Joe Thome" <joethome@xxxx> wrote:
> Hello Fellow List Members,
>
> Great discussion on trailing arm bolts. Is there any precaution
which should be followed in the removal of these bolts for inspection
or replacement? Do you simply get under the car and screw these bolts
out, or do you have to secure the trailing arms or other parts so that
they don't suddenly spring out position and do damage to person or
car?

> Many thanks.
>
> Joe Thome
>
> VIN 6467 as of 2/12/01

Message: 2
   Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 17:40:29 EST
   From: RJRavalli@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Re: New Magazine

Folks, from someone who has some publishing experience, you need to
lighten up on the new DMC Houston magazine here.  Now I haven't seen it
myself, so maybe I shouldn't even be posting this, but what magazine
DOESN'T have tons of ads in them?  I think this is especially excusable
if, as the original posted noted, the magazine makes it clear that it is a
publication of DMC Houston.

Also, isn't the list a far better place to ask and receive answers on tech
related questions???  Every magazine needs variety (including ads, as
noted above), so I'm sure they will continue to include some technical
stuff, but wouldn't JUST technical stuff be as boring as a magazine with
JUST ads?  Wouldn't you also like to see articles on DeLorean history,
media updates (i.e. "Where is the car now?"), readers personal stories,
etc.

So maybe you guys need to lighten up a bit.  If all you want is technical
information on ANY topic, then don't buy a *magazine*, which by usual
definition are popular publications being introduced for wider audiences.

Richard
Modesto, CA

Message: 3
   Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 17:04:47 -0500
   From: "Palatinus, Joe" <jopalatinus@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Re: whiny engine

	>when depressing the clutch is a throwout bearing, noise when not
	>depressing the clutch is transmission. (Generally).
	>David Teitelbaum
	>vin 10757

	I do not have a slight grinding whine, but for the past almost 2
years I hear a slight creak or perhaps best described as flexing metal
sound, it is a sound simmilar to a squeaky hinge.. Anywany i hear this
noise
everytime I depress the clutch, it is bearly adiable witht eh engine on,
but
when the engine is off it is very obvious.  I had not clutch problems
until
a year ago when my slave and master cylinders went out, I changed those,
and
no problem until recently my car has not wanted to DOWN shift into second
gear.  I can go first second third, but third second, or actually trying
get into second going at any apreciable speed is difficult, it will not
grind, but I really have to force it in there.  All other gears shift a
smmoth as silk, and I do still hear that squeky noise when I engage the
clutch, it has not gotten worse, should I be concerned about the noise?  I
have a feeling the second gear problem is relatively benign and I will not
worry bout that till I need a new cluch, but the noise that I have been
hearing, Is that my throwout bearing wearing its life away?
	just curious thanks
	Joe palatinus
	VIN 17167 6808

Message: 4
   Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 18:09:33 -0600
   From: "K Creason" <dmc4687@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Re: temp gauge not responding

I'll keep that in mind.
I gave the binnacle the Fonz trick last night and it work!
Also, my antenna suddenly went up and the radio turned on and started
playing Happy Days.....

I don't know where I've been that I haven't heard of (or had) a stuck
needle
before... but now I know.
Thanks for the help, all.