Re: [DML] The Latest Issue of DW from DOA

Re: [DML] The Latest Issue of DW from DOA

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Randal Atamaniuk" <martydmc12@xxxx>
wrote:
> I've read many negative comments over the past few years on the
mailing list
> and abroad about the DOA.  I have been a member myself for 10 years
+, and
> have no intention of leaving, as many have done.  I think based on
comments
> like this one here...
>
> "Instead of this main audience, the DOA has chosen a TARGET
AUDIENCE...
> those who are really more interested in a lifestyle than a car. They
want to
> flaunt DeLorean ownership as an experience akin to being a member
of an
> elite country club which has an exclusionary membership policy"
>
> ... you're forgetting a very important element to the DeLorean and
its
> history.  This attitude taken, is what John DeLorean's original
intention
> and vision was.  How many times have we heard it, the DeLorean is a
car for
> the Bachelor who's made it.  The car went up against Covette,
Mercedes,
> Porsche and another elite vehicles.  This car wasn't intended for
the
> average Joe.  Just because DeLoreans are more affordable today, than
they
> would have been in 1981, doesn't mean they should be treated that
way.  It's
> not a right to own a DeLorean, but a privelage.  And the DOA
continues to
> respect that ideaology.
>
> Randy Atamaniuk
> Vin #16353

WRONG! None of this is correct! The idea that the DeLorean was a car
for, "...the horny bachelor who's made it." did NOT come from John De
Lorean! This was an off-color comment that was made by Lotus engineers
that were working on the DMC-12 project. And the idea that the
DeLorean is/was intended to be a car for the elite members of society
is complete bunk. Intended production rates for the DMC-12 were
scheduled to be around 30,000+ units per year, EVERY year. Those are
hardly figures that indicate a car manufacturer intends for a vehicle
to be of a limited production. This isn't Ferrari. DMC's intention was
to sell a vehicle to anyone, and everyone who could buy one, not
whomever they deemed "worthy" of ownership.

The real, if not only "vision" that JZD had for people whom owned one
of his cars was that they build an aftermarket communications network
for both information distribution, and social interactions in order to
make  ownership more fufilling, and purchasing a car more inticing to
potential customers. And the only "idea" that was in place to
establish membership eleigibility was really just
ownership/enthusiasim, not someone's individual social/financial
status. Infact, it's been stated by DeLorean that he hated the idea
even back in the 60's that only old men with money could afford to buy
higher end cars, while young people whom would actually be the ones to
enjoy, and really appriciate the cars, were barrred from owning them
because of the high prices they couldn't afford.

Was the car intended for the "Average Joe"? I'd say so. A simplified
building process, utilizing a majority of commonly available,
universal parts and components, vs. more exotic cars while use
components that are mostly hand-tooled. And then there's reliability.
An intended 7 year bumper to bumper warrranty was planned, along with
a 25 year anti perforation guarantee on body pannels, AND an intended
SS chassis on the way. Versus other cars which require tune-ups that
cost $1,000s of dollars, require overly frequent maintenance, and
had/have warranties that don't exceed 24 months. Judging by this, the
DeLorean was most definatly a car that was built for the long term car
owner who wants to get the most bang for their buck. Someone whom
isn't easily duped into thinking that the higher the maintenance costs
on a car become, the more of a "status symbol" it becomes.

And what the hell do you mean by, " Just because DeLoreans are more
affordable today, than they would have been in 1981, doesn't mean they
should be treated that way."? Exactly what are you getting at? I am
genuinly curious.

I know that you're not a designated spokesperson for the DOA, so I'm
not going to hold your words against them. But if you are correct in
stating that this is what they not only stand for, but wish to
preserve this kind of descrimination against current, and potential
owners, then I will truly be very sorry to hear that...

In any case, you've got to realize that other than a strong desire to
be different, there is no possible way to classify what a DeLorean
owner is, or isn't. We come from all walks of life, we all vary in
age. We're engineers, entertainers, bankers, entrepreneurs, service
industry workers, police officers, students, good 'ol boys (& girls),
and even occasionally a criminal. We're somebodies, and nobodies. But
one thing remains: We're all DeLorean owners.

The only thing that will ever determine our "privilege" to own our
cars, shall be our ability to physicly posses one. Nothing, and most
cetainly, no one else.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

To visit your group on the web, go to: