From: doc-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:doc-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Daniel Howarth
Sent: 04 August 2006 21:46
To: doc-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [doc] Re: #2727 Twin Turbo Progress

Martin Hi i don't seem to be receiving any doc group e-mails can you help
me. Dan 219 4986 Eleanor

"mailto:martin%40delorean.co.uk"martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

"mailto:doc-uk%40yahoogroups.com"doc-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Gutkowski -
DMC Ltd <martin@...>
> >wrote:
> >

> >>Hi All
> >>
> >>Harking back to a week prior to Eurofest, I posted some photos of my
> >>friend Rich's #2727 twin turbo engine that we've been building. Quick
> >>synopsis: 2458cc Renault 25 Turbo even fire EFI engine built into
> >>DeLorean block with a couple of Alpine GTA bits and an Island twin
> >>

> >turbo
> >

> >>kit. We added a pair of intercoolers and just prior to Eurofest, fell
> >>foul of a dead turbo (mucho smoko). The project has been on hold while
> >>other tasks were cleared following three shows on the trot but in the
> >>past week, she's had a couple of donor turbos fitted from Mazda 323's
> >>(still the IHI RHB52 but water cooled - chosen for the capacity of the
> >>donor engine (1.5 litre) and the factory boost of 9psi). No photos
> >>because, frankly, it looks exactly mthe same as the ones I posted back
> >>then...
> >>
> >>HYPERLINK
"http://www.delorean.co.uk/DSCN2233.JPG"http://www.delorean-.co.uk/DSCN2233.
-JPG
> >>HYPERLINK
"http://www.delorean.co.uk/DSCN2234.JPG"http://www.delorean-.co.uk/DSCN2234.
-JPG
> >>HYPERLINK
"http://www.delorean.co.uk/DSCN2235.JPG"http://www.delorean-.co.uk/DSCN2235.
-JPG
> >>HYPERLINK
"http://www.delorean.co.uk/DSCN2236.JPG"http://www.delorean-.co.uk/DSCN2236.
-JPG
> >>HYPERLINK
"http://www.delorean.co.uk/DSCN2237.JPG"http://www.delorean-.co.uk/DSCN2237.
-JPG

> >>...but it sure as hell goes better.
> >>
> >>Currently we have the map that was created on the rolling road under
> >>normal aspiration, and an ignition map from some other engine set
> >>

> >with a
> >

> >>MAP limit of 2 bar (1 bar of boost). The MAP sensor Rich bought for the
> >>engine is from a Ford Cosworth and in calibration, we discovered it
> >>

> >will
> >

> >>actually measure nearly 20psi of boost despite being a 2 bar sensor (do
> >>you like the constantly flicking between bar and PSI? :-) The ecu we're
> >>using has an adaptive mode, and with the addition of a bosch wideband
> >>lambda sensor, does a remarkable job of writing its own map based
> >>

> >purely
> >

> >>on driving the thing.
> >>
> >>We decided to take the car on a 4 mile trip to the nearest petrol
> >>station and Rich drove while I watched the ECU outputs like a hawk.
> >>

> >This
> >

> >>was on the hottest July day since records began..... on a turbo car
> >>running high boost..... yikes. (just shy of 100F). I say Yikes
> >>

> >because I
> >

> >>have a live readout of Manifold Air Temperature and as the boost
> >>approached 15 psi (1 bar), the ECU was telling me we had air at nearly
> >>80 degrees C entering the engine (176F). I think those intercoolers are
> >>going to be moved downwards...
> >>
> >>After a bit of wastegate messing, we got it limiting at first 3psi,
> >>

> >then
> >

> >>8psi, then hitting the ECU's boost limit (set to 200kPa - well the
> >>software works in kPa - keep up!) at 5000rpm. Gutless at bottom end,
> >>

> >and
> >

> >>obviously in need of a proper tuning session, I am however happy to
> >>report that it shows all the signs of being a very quick car. The boost
> >>comes in at as low as 1200rpm, and will really benefit from an ECU
> >>controlled boost control valve to stop the wastegates opening at all
> >>till the target boost is reached - currently it's lovely and
> >>

> >progressive
> >

> >>but I'm sure we can gain some torque with more boost lower down in the
> >>revs.
> >>
> >>And much as I hate the film, the fast'n'furious dump valve noises
> >>

> >really
> >

> >>put a grin on yer face in a DeLorean :-D
> >>
> >>Martin
> >>

> >DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.-co.uk
> >Unsubscribe: HYPERLINK
"mailto:doc-uk-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com"doc-uk-unsubscribe@-yahoogroups