Re: [doc] Non DeLorean Techical Question

Re: [doc] Non DeLorean Techical Question

Buy normal unleaded petrol then put the correct dose of Castrol Valvemaster PLUS. in. The PLUS is the octane boost to make standard pump unleaded the equivalent of leaded petrol 4 star (97 to 98 RON). The ignition timing could then be set at the manufacturers setting and cost per litre is the most economical solution (other than not using any additive and assuming that the valves have been work hardened with lead, often known as "lead memory.")

  Look at http://www.fbhvc.co.uk/fuel/new-index.htm

  If you buy the Tetraboost then use correct PPE as this has real lead in it.

  Stick with 1 kind of treatment as they don't tend to mix well.

  Engine run on could be caused by different things like carbonised piston crowns, timing too far retrded, stop solenoid in the carburettor not working, breather system not functioning correctly, unusual characteristic of the engine etc.
  If after checking all of the above it still runs then you can out a vent solenoid on the inlet valve, This was used on cars like metros with the old Su carburettors and basically an air valve that let air into the inlet manifold when the engine was turned off.

  I take it your car has carburettors. Also double check the rubber fuel lines too as some can perish internally with the new fuel.

  NickT.

Claire Usher <claire_usher71@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
          Hi all,

I've had a really fun weekend out in the Rapier with the Derwent
Valley Triumph Sports Car Club (yes, I know the Rapier isnt a
Triumph....) :o)

Each year they have a 80 odd mile tour through the Peak District and
invite non Triumph cars too. As Phill W (who went last year) was
going in his D, I decided to take the Rapier instead and give the old
girl a good run (hmm, did I mean me or the car? :o) lol). It's been
a lovely weekend, including relaxing at Chatsworth House yesterday,
then having a lovely scenic drive round today with lots of nice stops
along the way, finishing in Derby around 3pm this afternoon.

However.........One thing the Rapier has always done since I've had
it, is 'run on' when the engine is turned off, especially after doing
a few miles. I'm sure its something to do with the ignition timing,
as I'm running on 95ron Unleaded with an additive.

I was tempted to get the timing adjusted to prevent this, but then
someone at work advised against it because they said it would cause
the engine to 'pink'.

Has anyone else had experience of adjusting older cars to run on lead
free petrol satisfactorily? LRP is hard to find and also is very
expensive if you can find it.

Cheers,

Claire
#2292 'Flopsy'
1968 Sunbeam Rapier Automatic 'still not got a name'
1989 Chavalier 1.6L 'Guinevere'
DOC170

http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/HliolB/TM