[doc] Door strut pivot failure (a bit long, but worth checking yours!!

[doc] Door strut pivot failure (a bit long, but worth checking yours!! )

Hiya ...

well, the generally reliable (disgustingly I'm told) 'Sorbet',
decided it was time summat broke the other day, and tried to eat me
in the process :-).
While closing the drivers door there was a very loud crack and the
door collapsed onto me :(
Immediate thoughts was torsion bar failure, but fortunately it was
less serious.
What had happened was the lower pivot for the door gas strut had
sheared off!!
I was very lucky that the strut dropped into the door channel and
not onto the stainless or some serious damage could have resulted -
it was close judging by the scrape up the rubber seal right to the
edge of the stainless.
Main problem in the repair was the bolt had sheared off in the mount
attached to the car body, this is fixed to the inner skin of the
fibreglass tub. It was obvious the broken stud wasn't going to be
removed in situ, so, the mount had to be removed. To get the mount
out you need to dremel out the shape of the bracket from the outer
skin (its hidden under the door seal so can't be seen after anyway)
and take the mount off the car. This done the broken stud was still
unremoveable and I opted to grind off the welded on fixing nut and
fit a new one - this involved turning a shoulder on a 10mm nut and
brazing it into the plate.
The mounting plate is no longer available at Houston (though shown
as available at just over $3 ).
The actual pivots are available at about £5.00 a pair! so, perhaps
it would be worth investing in a pair to save you having the same
problem - they are 25yrs old now and take a lot of sideways stress.
I've taken a few pics of the repair - 3 are linked here, note the
long temporary bolts - these are used to stop the backplate that the
two fixing bolts go into from dissappearing in between the skins,
never to be seen again!
Pic of the sheared off pivot ...
http://www.fab1.net/sorbet/strutfail/broken-stud.jpg
Pic of repaired mount plate ...
http://www.fab1.net/sorbet/strutfail/repaired-plate.jpg
Pic of the door frame with the dremelled out shape and plate
removed - note the long retaining bolts to allow the plate to be
slid out the hole while keeping the backplate in place! ..
http://www.fab1.net/sorbet/strutfail/removed.jpg

PhillW
DOC233
VIN 6772 (de-cat'ed and sounding lovely)
AVI and SERA

Home is just a click away.? Make Yahoo! your home page now.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/HliolB/TM