[doc] Re: anyone any ideas? more help needed for column bush!!

[doc] Re: anyone any ideas? more help needed for column bush!!

> Now have tried pulling on this by hand, but the splines the other
side are a bit rusty, and grip is a bit difficult. so its stuck for
now.

whilst mine were not rusty the splines were held in tightly by the
25 year old clamp, no matter what i did to pull on it i couldnt
shift it without possibly causing damage to the tiny splines,
however i found thay by #carefully# coaxing a screwdriver in between
the slot in the clamp and twisting it, it spread it enough to slide
the lower shaft right out. Also the domed end of the shaft is
visable in the u joint you could try coaxing it out at this point at
the same time , try not to put any force against the u joint though.
Put plenty of rust penetrant on it , WD40 isnt rust penetrant btw.

Make sure you mark the orientation of the shaft in the clamp so your
steering wheel goes back on straight.

> > also the bushing, it has a straight hole, but obviously the
column
> > is angled. does it just adjust to its own angle? so put shaft
> > through back on straight, then tilt up and fix the two bolts?.

slightly, but thats the way it goes :)

Mike
#2001/403

http://us.click.yahoo.com/.7bhrC/MGxNAA/yQLSAA/HliolB/TM